What is a good ironing board? Iron board buying guide
Traditionally, every household today has an ironing board. It is the partner of an iron. An ironing board provides a flat surface for the clothes to be ironed out. It has a rounded point at one end, and an iron rest at the other end. Ironing boards have similar shapes, sizes, and styles. But how do you determine a good one? What is a good ironing board?
Basically, there are three kinds of ironing boards: the portable ironing board, the wall mounted ironing board, and the tabletop ironing board. Each of them has advantages and disadvantages depending on the space you have and your ironing tasks.
- The portable ironing board is the most common in many households. It can be transferred to any part of the house where ironing can be done. The legs are adjustable to conform to the user’s height and can be folded for easy, safe storage. It can be cumbersome for some users, though, to set it up or fold it down.
- The wall mounted ironing board is installed in the wall where it is folded down or up for storage or use. It is ideal for limited spaces such as apartments, walk in closets, etc. It can be easily set up too if you need to use it or fold it up when you’re done with the task. It saves time and effort.
- The tabletop ironing board is built with short legs and can be placed on top of beds, tables, and counters. It is widely used in college dormitories and other limited space because they are easy to set up and carry around. However, a tabletop ironing board has a small surface that might not be enough for clothes.
A good ironing board depends on your space and lifestyle. If you live in a small apartment, the wall-mounted or tabletop ironing board is good for you. For college students, a tabletop ironing board is suitable. Each of these types of ironing board, however, come with drawbacks.
What is a good ironing board?
Other than the kinds of ironing board, here are some factors to consider when scouting for a good ironing board:
#1 Padding and cover
Most ironing boards are already built with padding and cover; some require you to buy separate cover and padding. The padding should be thick, made of felt material, and run between 4mm to 8mm. On the other hand, the cover can be made of cotton, metallic, or coated with silicone. It should be heat resistant and not stick to clothes to prevent damage.
#2 Extra features
Many ironing boards now are constructed with additional features. Examples of additional features are hanging rail, iron rest, water steam station, organizer, sleeve attachment, and more. They make ironing more convenient and easy. These are ideal especially if you do a lot of ironing chores.
The ironing board should be lightweight enough so you can conveniently carry it along to your desired place. The portable ironing board, though the largest among the kinds of ironing boards, should be lightweight too.
The ironing board should be made of high-quality materials to ensure durability and withstand pressure during ironing activity. The frame should not easily collapse or tip over while you iron. A sturdy and stable ironing board prevents accidents and makes ironing easy.
Examples of good ironing boards
There are a lot of ironing board choices today, but not all of them have all the features mentioned above. To help you choose the good ones, here are the best selling ironing boards today:
- Homz Durabilt DX1500 Premium Steel Top Ironing Board. This ironing board has patented legs made of platinum with plastic accents. They are adjustable up to 25 inches wide and up to 39.5 inches in height. The top of the ironing board surface is supported by steel mesh to provide enough space for the steam to flow while ironing. The cover is made of 100% cotton layered with a thick pad that’s ¼ inch fiber and ¼ inch foam.
- Compact Wall Mounted Ironing Board – Silver Wall Fixing Plate. This ironing board is made in Ireland using high-quality materials such as zinc plate, cotton cover, and more. It has a quick release system for easy storage and set up. It is small enough and suitable for small apartments and walk-in closets.
Make life easier with a good ironing board.