The Best Ironing Boards 2019 – A Detailed Buyer’s Guide
After a long afternoon of washing clothes, you may hope laundry is finished once the dryer beeps. However, arguably the most important task occurs next – ironing and folding your clothes. I know it may seem inconvenient at the time, but many people forget to look at it like this – if you let your clothes wrinkle, you and your family will have to wear wrinkled clothes!
While some clothes barely get wrinkled from washing and others may not seem like they need it, ironing is still one of the many household chores that you may find overwhelming because you need to go through all the clothes one by one. A good iron and ironing board can make this task much easier. They are key essentials to taking good care of your clothes. Amongst other reasons, nice wrinkle-free clothes are a great way to increase your self-confidence.
I’m here to help you turn this chore from an annoyance to the best day of doing laundry, and that starts with having a great ironing board. Before we dive in and unpack the best ironing boards out there, let’s take a look at what you should be looking for first.
How to Choose the Best Ironing Board
Not all ironing boards are made equal. They come in different heights and sizes and it can be overwhelming to choose one that will suit your needs. To help you pick the best, here are some guidelines for looking for the ironing board for you:
There are three types of ironing boards: tabletop, stand-up and wall-mount ones. Portable ironing boards can be moved from room to room or wherever it’s convenient to do the ironing, while wall-mount ironing boards ones are usually installed in the laundry room or in a closet or drawer. They are often fastened at the top of the closet door and drops down from it when it’s needed. This makes built-in ironing boards a great space saver.
If you are planning to install built-in ironing boards, you can have it done by professionals or do it on your own by getting kits that come with easy-to-follow instructions.
For easier and more efficient ironing, a full-size ironing board is the way to go. See if you have enough room to accommodate the widest ironing board you can find and look for ironing boards that are at least 4-feet long and 12 to 18-inches wide.
The height of the ironing board depends on the person doing the ironing and most people in the same household share one board with each other, so it may not be practical to get one that comes in a set height. Go for ironing boards that can be adjusted depending on the person using it or whether you want to iron standing up or sitting down. You must also consider the highest and the lowest setting the ironing board allows.
If you are getting a portable ironing board, get one that is lightweight so that it’s easy to move from one place to another, and folding up or setting down will not be a problem every time. However, you should make sure that the ironing board is sturdy despite its weight to avoid any accidents from it collapsing or tipping over.
Modern ironing boards come with multiple features, but one that you must always look out for is enough padding. Remember that you are ironing your clothes to get rid of wrinkles and you want it to be as smooth as possible, so you want a flat padded surface that will not leave any impression on the garment. You also have to make sure that it is heat resistant.
Keep Reading To Learn More About The Best Ironing Boards Out There
|Polder Deluxe Tabletop Ironing Board, Natural||$||4.1 / 5|
|Honey-Can-Do BRD-01435 Collapsible Tabletop Ironing Board||$||4.4 / 5|
|Minky Ergo Ironing Board, 48 by 15-Inch Surface||$$||4.2 / 5|
|Brabantia Ironing Board with Steam Iron Rest and Linen Rack||$$||4.6 / 5|
|Rev-A-Shelf Vanity Pullout Ironing Board||$$$||4.0 / 5|
|Homz Durabilt DX1500 Premium Steel Top Ironing Board||$$||4.3 / 5|
|Bartnelli 51×19-Inch Multi layered T-Leg Extra Wide Ironing Board||$$||4.6 / 5|
|Parker Extra Wide Ironing Pro Board with Shoulder Wing Folding||$$$||4.0 / 5|
|Rowenta IB9100 Pro Compact Professional Space Saving Folding Ironing Board||$$$||4.1 / 5|
|Mabel Home Extra – Wide ironing Pro Board||$$$||4.8/5|
The 5 Best Ironing Boards Reviewed
Looking for the best ironing board? With so many options in stores right now, it can be difficult to shop for one that will fit all your requirements, so we gathered the ones touted as the best ironing boards on the market and reviewed each one for you below.
Polder Deluxe Tabletop Ironing Board
This ironing board is ideal if you live in a small place and want to save space. It’s specially designed for this purpose yet offers a good padding for effective ironing. You can easily store this anywhere after use because of its slim size and folding legs.
- Tabletop ironing board designed to save space
- Wide ironing surface made of a wood top, foam padding, and 100% cotton cover
- Retractable iron rest for safety and space-saving
- Folding legs for easy storage anywhere, even in small spaces
- 32 inches long and 12 inches wide
- 6 inches high for convenient ironing while sitting down
- It is easy to set up and down after use. The legs are easy to control.
- Its small size makes it easy to store in small, tight places. Store it under the bed, the space between a cabinet and the wall, or hang it up behind a door.
- It has a thick padding that offers sufficient support for ironing and constant exposure to heat.
- The ironing board is lightweight and easy to maneuver. It’s not a task to carry around and transfer from one place to another.
- The legs are very sturdy and stable, and they provide enough support for holding the weight of ironing even when you move around quite a bit.
- The legs do not lock so they can slide right out if you are not careful with handling it.
- The retractable iron rack is very flimsy and bendy. It’s not enough to hold the hot iron when it’s set down.
- The cover is not removable so you can’t replace it or clean it once it’s dirty.
If you need something that will help you with ironing your clothes in a small living space, get the Polder Deluxe Tabletop Ironing Board. It’s small enough to fit in small spaces for use and storage, and its light weight makes it easy to maneuver and transport. Its height isn’t adjustable so it’s specifically made for ironing while sitting down. It does that job well but the retractable iron rack isn’t something that you can depend on.
Honey-Can-Do BRD-01435 Collapsible Tabletop Ironing Board
This tabletop ironing board was designed with dorm rooms and small apartments in mind. It has a wide, spacious ironing surface for quick and easy ironing and a metal iron rest so you don’t have to set your iron anywhere else. This board folds into a slim build for easy storage anywhere.
- Made of poly cotton
- Compact and portable size for ironing even in small spaces
- Comes with a retractable iron rest to prevent scorching
- Folds flat for easy storage
- 32-inches long and 12-inches wide
- 1 inches high
- Aqua blue and white cover
- It has the perfect size for a small apartment – has the right width and height for ironing any garment yet fits well in any living space. A great space saver!
- It folds completely flat and slim so there are no problems when it comes to storage. You can fit it in a small bedroom closet, hang it behind a door, or place it under a bed – anywhere is fine.
- The iron rest is sturdy and holds the iron well when set down. The ironing board does not tip over from its weight.
- The blue cover is soft and the foam stands up to the heat from the iron. It does not give or bend over from the heat.
- The board easily collapses and opens up so it’s easy to maneuver and quick to set up when you need to use it.
- The retractable metal iron rest takes a bit of work to glide out, but other customers seem to find it too flimsy that it slides out when you move the ironing board. This may depend on the particular item you get.
- While the cover is a pleasure to use because of its softness, it’s quite thin and appears to be made of cheap material. It also doesn’t appear to be removable, so you can’t easily clean it once it’s dirty or replace with a different cover.
The Honey-Can-Do Collapsible Tabletop Ironing Board is a pleasure to use. It’s sturdy enough for regular ironing, and it makes the whole chore convenient and not too difficult. It has just the right height for ironing when sitting down. It has a couple of drawbacks, like the cloth cover and the retractable metal iron, but these minor issues can be overlooked since it hits all the requirements for a space-saving ironing board.
Minky Ergo Ironing Board
This ironing board from Minky comes with the Ergo rest – an iron rack that comes in a unique shape adapted to follow the natural movement of your arm to avoid muscle strain. This also makes the ironing board suitable for both right-handed and left-handed users. It’s designed to eliminate all the seemingly minor problems that make ironing a dreadful task.
- Comes in a shape that allows for a naturally comfortable ironing position
- Easy to use for both right-handed and left-handed users
- Designed with the Bespoke Prozone heat reflective cover for a quick ironing process
- Comes with the movable flex guide to avoid tangling
- Height can be adjusted from 0 to 36-inches to accommodate everyone
- This ironing board is great for ironing larger clothes and other garments. The wide surface makes ironing faster since you don’t have to move clothes as much.
- The legs are very strong and sturdy. It doesn’t wobble or tip over when faced with heavy pressure and is resilient against hard movement.
- It makes for effective ironing and results for smooth and crisp clothes. If you like to wear suits and formal dresses a lot, then this is for you.
- It’s surprisingly lightweight considering its sturdiness and excellent quality. It’s larger than most compact ironing boards but it’s still very easy to store in small spaces.
- The fabric cover is heat resistant. It stands up to strong heat and you won’t be dealing with scorched cloth from the iron.
- The height is adjustable so you can choose to iron either while standing up or sitting down, or at any height you want to board to be.
- The iron rack called the Ergo Rest is well-made and holds the iron well, no matter how heavy it is.
If you are looking for an ironing board that will stand up to heavy pressure and will not let you down, get this Minky Ergo Ironing Board. You won’t have a problem with storage or portability as it’s lightweight despite its solidness, and it ensures smooth, crisp clothes in no time.
Brabantia Ironing Board with Steam Iron Rest
Make ironing quick and convenient with the Brabantia Ironing Board. It features a full-size surface and adjustable height settings for the freedom to choose. The 49 x 15 in. iron rest holds the iron when not in use and ensures safety and comfort when you are ironing.
- Made with a wide work surface for quick ironing
- Iron large garments in one go
- Adjustable height settings ranging from 30 to 38 inches
- Comes with safety features for peace of mind
- 49 x 15-inch steam iron rest; great fit for standard irons
- 100% cotton cover with an Ice Water design
- The cover features a stretch system for keeping the surface taut for a long time
- The base is strong and sturdy and you will not experience wobbling or tipping over even with heavy pressure.
- The wide surface allows for very quick ironing for large areas of garments or significantly larger clothing.
- The cover is made of high-quality material and makes the overall appearance of the ironing board pleasant.
- The height is adjustable so people of any height can use it. You can use it standing up or sitting down.
Brabantia Ironing Board is the ironing board for people who need a sturdy one for use at home. No more wobbly board that gives in the slightest use of pressure, or when the iron is set down on the rack.
Rev-A-Shelf VIB-20CR Vanity Fold-Out Ironing Board
Tired of setting up and folding your ironing board when you need it? Try the Rev-A-Shelf Ironing Board. It mounts in a drawer and quickly slides out for use, so you don’t have to worry about storage anymore. It saves space in a small apartment or dorm room and is also easily removable for transfer when necessary.
- Made with an expandable frame
- Unique ball-bearing slide system
- Fixed brackets for easy mounting of all standard drawer fronts
- Chrome finish
- Comes with a gravity lock
- Easy to unfold for use
- 13/16-inch depth and 4-inch height
- Great for saving space in small living areas since it’s meant to be installed in cabinets and drawers.
- You don’t need to designate a space for storage because it’s a built-in ironing board.
- No need to set up ironing board before each use; you only have to pull out the drawer you installed it in and it’s ready for ironing.
- Great for a quick touch-up if you notice some missed areas from ironing your clothes the first time.
- It works great for clothes that do not need a very precise ironing job, like pants, skirts, and other garments with large surface areas.
- You can’t iron skirts and pants on this board because it’s completely attached to the drawer it’s installed in. Pants and skirts cannot be slipped over the board like you can on other ironing boards.
- The latching mechanism gives easily when you put any kind of pressure on the board.
- Not made to be the only ironing board in the house.
- It’s not very sturdy.
If you have always wanted a built-in ironing board or you are tired of assembling a portable one, the Rev-A-Shelf Fold-Out Ironing Board is a decent board for quick ironing. It does the job but it’s not for precise ironing, and it’s certainly not made for ironing a lot of clothes.
The Best Ironing Board Is…
After some deliberation, it’s clearly a tie between the Minky Ergo Ironing Board and the Brabantia Ironing Board with Steam Iron Rest. We can’t find anything to complain about these two since they perform really well. They are sturdy yet lightweight, stand up to long periods of ironing with some heavy pressure put on them, they are easy to maneuver and easy to store because of their relatively small sizes.
Both of the ironing boards have adjustable height settings as well, making them user-friendly no matter how tall you are. Most people like to iron clothes while standing up, but if you are doing a lot of ironing, it’s helpful to be able to sit down after a while. The adjustable height allows that, so the Minky Ergo and Brabantia ironing boards are very convenient and comfortable to use.
While built-in ironing boards are better for saving some space in your house, they are not always a good substitute to portable ironing boards like Minky’s and Brabantia’s. They do take up some space for storage but they fold down into a slim and small size, so they are still helpful for space-saving.